Welcome, Anonymous (Profile, Private Messages)
Having trouble signing into the forums? Please [ logout ] and log back in.
SEARCH:     » Advanced Search

Shutterstock Photographer Forum Forum Index : Critique / Tips / Tricks :
I need help in PhotoShop

tory

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:08 am     Reply with quote

In photoshop, when I try to crop, how come I cant do a freehand crop? I can only crop with a square shape. : ( PLEASE REPLY
mikeledray

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:15 am     Reply with quote

to crop free hand use the Lasso Tool instead of the square option
good luck
mike
http://www.shutterstock.com/gallery.mhtml?id=426
tory

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:20 am     Reply with quote

Thank you so much!
mikeledray

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:41 am     Reply with quote

tory
im glad to help when I can
if you have any other questions feel free to e mail me directly if you wish
mikeledray@yahoo.com
one more hint on cropping
if you are trying to isolate (put an image on a white/transparent background)
use the lasso tool crop close to your subject, click copy, then create a New blank canvis, click Paste, then click fit screen, then actuial pixals, then enlarge it say between 200 to 300+ percent and use your eraser tool to clean up the edges smooth and nice of rogue background pixals, then check it for size (make sure its at least the minimum size for ss), save as a JPG and Wahallah you have it!
Good Luck
Mike
andresr

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:57 am     Reply with quote

Thats actually time consuming. What you can try is using the lasso tool when the image is zoomed at 200% or 300%, then you can always add bits or remove bits with alt and shift having your image selected already.

However there is a third method that is my favourite but it depends on the shapes as well. Use the pen tool to roughly draw around the figure. Then use the convert point tool to make the right curves. After that use all the pen tools as needed to modify the shape.
Once you have done this you can change layers and carry on editing other pieces of your image and the shape will remain under "clipping paths". Also this shape remains embedded with the jpg so when designers download your images the shape selection is already done for them, all they have to do is go to "clipping paths" and select the right clipping path, you can even save a number of clipping paths .....

There must be an in depth tutorial about this, I just havent got time to find it now but if I find it I will post it.

Cheers
Dwight Smith

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:16 pm     Reply with quote

What you're asking about is called "making a selection" in Photoshop lingo, Tory. After you have made a selection, you can "crop" the image to it if you wish. They are two different processes.

Making selections is one of the most important parts of image editing in my opinion. Andres has told you about the pen tool, and Michael about the lasso tool. My contribution is the Quick Mask.

Just below the color selection box on the toolbox, find two rectangles with circles in them. These are "mask mode" selection buttons. If you click on the one on the right, you will be in "Quick Mask" mode. There, you can use the paintbrush to define your selections. Click on the mode selection button to the left, and you return to the normal mode, and your selection is outlined by the marching ants.

Hope this helps.
jlye

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:18 pm     Reply with quote

another method is to use the quick mask method ..
mikeledray

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:06 pm     Reply with quote

this would be an excelent tip of the day from Shutter Stock so we can see how its done
Mike
StuartE

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:10 pm     Reply with quote

OK, I don't suppose he might be talking actually about cropping - but he's got say 4 X 4 set in the dimensions, and wants to constrain to 6 X 4 or the like?? That the 'freehand' crop could actually mean he wants to crop to his own dimensions, not a square??

Just wondering, given the question was about cropping, and the answers are about selections... :-)

Cheers,
Stuart

P.S. If it is cropping, Tory, depending on what Photoshop you're using, when you first select the crop tool, there is a 'clear' button on the right of the toolbar, past the dimensions you have selected - it will wipe out what figures you have in there, and allow you to choose any aspect to your crop, square, oblong, panoramic...
kwest

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:38 pm     Reply with quote

Maybe its an Adelaide thing Stuart, but I immediately thought the same thing... Damn this water.
Pete Bax

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:27 am     Reply with quote

You can get a wounderful picture by using the crop tool clearing those number boxes at the top and then ticking the perspective you can play for hours with this. You can get some really weird effects doing this, distorts faces wonderfully only problem is selling these distorted images still its good fun.

Shutterstock Forum for Contributors