Welcome, Anonymous (Profile, Private Messages)
Having trouble signing into the forums? Please [ logout ] and log back in.
SEARCH:     » Advanced Search

Shutterstock Photographer Forum Forum Index : Critique / Tips / Tricks :
trying to find one to start the first 10
Page 1, 2  Next

seaspray2

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:05 am     Reply with quote

Just looking for thoughts on this apple. Thanks in advance. I have been following the forum and appreciate all the time and effort you all put into it.

apple 100% crop-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  150.09 KB
 Viewed:  1450 Time(s)

apple 100% crop-1.jpg

_MG_3434-Edit-Edit.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  103.03 KB
 Viewed:  1450 Time(s)

_MG_3434-Edit-Edit.JPG

kenny123

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:41 am     Reply with quote

original cropped too tight-crop shows out of focus and noise
semmickphoto

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:53 am     Reply with quote

Might also be too dark
themightyshrub

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:12 am     Reply with quote

You need to light the subject more. Just a little fill light at the front will make all the difference. You won't be able to just raie the exposure in post, partly because there's noise, and fiddling with the image will just make that worse, and also because if you take the exposure up any higher, those highlights will blow.

I also agree that it's cropped to tight.

As well as this, you need to think 'what makes my picture special?'. Why would people want to buy your picture of an apple over the THOUSANDS of other pictures of apples that are available. Food is an oversubscribed photo area, so the picture needs to be more than just technically good to make it, especially on a first ten.

See if you can find some posts by Dave (I think his forum name is hltdave5). He's the food master. Study his port and read all the advice he has given on this forum. He knows his stuff.
David P. Smith

Location: Our Stock, Food & Portrait photography books at www.rindersmithphotography.com

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:23 am     Reply with quote

Well thank you Heather for the nice words.

Everyone is correct. The main issue with the shot is that it under exposed. When doing food photography there are a couple of rules that really need to be followed.

First, use the best example of the food as possible. You want to showcase the food and if it is not up to par or the viewer cannot see it properly then it is not being shown off at its best. You want to make the viewer stick their head into the monitor and eat it up.

When it comes to exposure learn to use your eyes. When you look at the shot does it look right? Is it properly exposed? Is the focus point sharp and crisp? Learn to really "see" what you are creating and not just "look" at it.

Now you did do something interesting which most do not do and that is to show the apples from the bottom and not from the stem end. I give you points for being different.

From what I can see the focus does look soft on the main front apple but you did work toward using DOF in a proper manner which is also good.

As far as it being cropped too tightly I am not going to bust your chops too much on that point. How an image is cropped depends on several things, if copy space is going to be left for the buyer, are you cropping off any key element in the shot that should not be and if you are trying to show a certain part of the image.

To show you what I mean I just did a series of shots dealing with cupcakes. I wanted one to show off the use of frosting and topping but still let the viewer know it was indeed a cupcake. I shot it this way and am very happy with the results.

http://www.shutterstock.com/cat.mhtml?gallery_id=66695#id=94204876

You can see that it is cropped rather tightly but it does two things, it allows copy space to be put in and it also shows off the frosting and topping.

So, a tightly cropped shot need not be a bad thing if done properly. In your shot you needed to give it a bit more breathing room because you would not really want to show off the end of the apple.

So, use your eyes properly, think through your shots before even picking up the camera and with food work follow my #1 rule and that is to pay attention to the details no matter how small.
seaspray2

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:03 pm     Reply with quote

I do like the open style crops but i see what you mean about the emphasis on the apple end....maybe not so good. I will submit another shot but you maythink it is too tightly cropped also. Thanks again for all the help

_MG_4107-Edit-Edit.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  109.15 KB
 Viewed:  1335 Time(s)

_MG_4107-Edit-Edit.JPG

_MG_4107-Edit-Edit.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  109.15 KB
 Viewed:  1335 Time(s)

_MG_4107-Edit-Edit.JPG

mauijon

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:15 pm     Reply with quote

Wow, we haven't heard from Heather in a long long time. Howzit goin?
Jeffrey B. Banke

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:56 pm     Reply with quote

Yes, I do think it is cropped too tight, although easily fixed ;-)

_mg_4107-edit-edit_175 copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.65 KB
 Viewed:  1312 Time(s)

_mg_4107-edit-edit_175 copy.jpg

seaspray2

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:07 pm     Reply with quote

Wow...how did you do that? if it's not too hard to describe? Do you think that I could use this one for a submission?
Barry Blackburn

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:30 pm     Reply with quote

Flowers are not recommended for your first ten.

All Jeff did was create a new file and add some black along side look carefully and you can see it.

How about the crop?
seaspray2

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:41 pm     Reply with quote

just adding the crop

100% crop-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  108.67 KB
 Viewed:  1282 Time(s)

100% crop-1.jpg

seaspray2

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:44 pm     Reply with quote

I will post a better crop.

crop1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  149.78 KB
 Viewed:  1277 Time(s)

crop1.jpg

semmickphoto

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:54 pm     Reply with quote

Too much noise and too soft. Probably need to lower the ISO or shoot with better light.
Jeffrey B. Banke

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:18 am     Reply with quote

ruxpriencdiam wrote:
Flowers are not recommended for your first ten.

All Jeff did was create a new file and add some black along side look carefully and you can see it.

How about the crop?

Actually Barry is wrong, it was PFM!

Seriously, I increased the canvas size, adding black on the left and the top, then cloned the top to the flower base in on the top.
took all of 15 secs
Would look better on the original image
seaspray2

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:28 am     Reply with quote

thanks all for the advice. I forgot about no flowers in the first 10. Do you think the apples would be okay with a reshoot and better crop? Thanks again

Page 1, 2  Next

Shutterstock Forum for Contributors