Welcome, Anonymous (Profile, Private Messages)
Having trouble signing into the forums? Please [ logout ] and log back in.
SEARCH:     » Advanced Search

Shutterstock Photographer Forum Forum Index : Critique / Tips / Tricks :
Swastika
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

jeffbanke

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:44 am     Reply with quote

Swastikas have been around for thousands of years and have had many different meanings, from something meaning good luck or as used by early Christians to indicate they were Christians, as it was a disguised cross, to Thor's Hammer and many other meanings.

Here are some links to the history of the swatikas

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/576371/swastika

http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/ancientart/f/swastika.htm

http://www.vnnforum.com/showthread.php?t=46974

http://www.iearn.org/hgp/aeti/aeti-1997/swastika.html

http://gosai.com/writings/swastika-and-cross
blinztree

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:25 am     Reply with quote

Buddhists also adopt the Swastika as a religious symbol long before A.H. hijacked and corrupted the symbol but it's in the inverted form.

So if you are traveling in Asian where Buddhism is the national religion and see the inverted Swastikas displayed in public and in the temples, it does not mean they have embraced Nazism.
rinder99

Location: Contact www.rinderart.com/Books and Workshops www.rindersmithphotography.com Youtube/rinder

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:58 am     Reply with quote

I have no problem with it as a symbol, The blood? or whatever it is , Is my issue. That takes it to another form and meaning.
semmickphoto

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:32 am     Reply with quote

rinder99 wrote:
I have no problem with it as a symbol, The blood? or whatever it is , Is my issue. That takes it to another form and meaning.

To me it looks like a seal. You know like red wax to seal of the coin to show no one tampered with it.

Maybe if they rename the photo to Historic NSDAP Sealed Coin it will help understand people what it is.
rudyumans

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:55 am     Reply with quote

chbaum wrote:
Again, I agree in principle. But this is a commercial site. Selling photos for almost no money is as commercial as it can get, and for me that's just not the right environment for remembrance or keeping the memory of the victims. But again, that's just me. No need to argue. But I HAD to comment on this.

C.

I completely agree with you, but remember that this kind of pictures of memorabilia can also be used in blogs, websites, articles, and books against the Nazis and everything it stood for. In that regard, it might be a good thing that pictures like this are available.

(I lost family members in WWII and my grandparents ended up in a concentration camp for hiding Jewish families in their home.)
rudyumans

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:00 pm     Reply with quote

rinder99 wrote:

yes. It seems obvious that the symbol in itself is not the cause of resentment, but the coin as a whole is and, as you said, the blood.

It is all about perception and with this coin it is a negative one. No matter the actual original meaning of the symbol.
hkuchera

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:02 pm     Reply with quote

semmickphoto wrote:
rinder99 wrote:

To me it looks like a seal. You know like red wax to seal of the coin to show no one tampered with it.

I agree - dried blood does not look like that. Dried wax - definitely.
semmickphoto

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:17 pm     Reply with quote

rudyumans wrote:
rinder99 wrote:

yes. It seems obvious that the symbol in itself is not the cause of resentment, but the coin as a whole is and, as you said, the blood.

It is all about perception and with this coin it is a negative one. No matter the actual original meaning of the symbol.

Blood turns brown when it dries up. Especially old blood. Dried up blood doesnt look bright red.
rinder99

Location: Contact www.rinderart.com/Books and Workshops www.rindersmithphotography.com Youtube/rinder

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:00 pm     Reply with quote

Yes. looks Like wax But andy was pushing Blood.

Quote "but this image of a bloody, dirty, degraded symbol doesn't exactly glorify nazis."
"
semmickphoto

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:07 pm     Reply with quote

rinder99 wrote:

Quote "but this image of a bloody, dirty, degraded symbol doesn't exactly glorify nazis."
"
Fair enough Laurin. I see your point.
akatz

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:00 pm     Reply with quote

hkuchera wrote:
semmickphoto wrote:
rinder99 wrote:

Some of the light-colored material may not be blood--though it's not wax. The darker stuff is blood--my own blood as a matter of fact;)

andy
akatz

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:15 pm     Reply with quote

rinder99 wrote:

"

Hi Laurin,

I know it's blood because I drew it from my own antecubital fossa to use on Granddad's Urologist, the Bloody Razor & this symbol (which, btw, isn't a coin or a seal, but an emblem on the bottom of a razor handle--you can see it in the shot of the bloody razor below the hand).

Originally the whole thing was covered in blood to the point you couldn't see what it was. It wasn't a good shot, so I let it sit for a day or two & reshot it after removing some of the dried blood. Why is some lighter appearing than the other? Not sure. Might either be fresher or not as thick a layer. Compare to the blood on the razor shot or urologist--all real, all mine;-)

I'm interested in the reaction this has engendered: are people saying that the presence of blood makes it somehow salacious & opportunistic in ways a cleaned-up symbol wouldn't?

Is it the perception that at least some of the blood isn't real that's upset some readers?

Frankly I don't see a ndsap swastika as anything but bloody. Like MacBeth's dagger it furthered the performance of many evil deeds.

A more sanguineous symbol would be difficult to imagine.

Thanks everyone for the comments, they're much appreciated:-)

andy
akatz

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:21 pm     Reply with quote

akatz wrote:
hkuchera wrote:
semmickphoto wrote:
rinder99 wrote:

Some of the light-colored material may not be blood--though it's not wax. The darker stuff is blood--my own blood as a matter of fact;)

andy

Just looked again--it's all blood.

andy
rinder99

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:27 pm     Reply with quote

Submit it.
akatz

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:45 pm     Reply with quote

rinder99 wrote:
Submit it.

Cool.

Thanks Laurin

andy

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Shutterstock Forum for Contributors