Welcome, Anonymous (Profile, Private Messages)
Having trouble signing into the forums? Please [ logout ] and log back in.
SEARCH:     » Advanced Search

Shutterstock Photographer Forum Forum Index : Critique / Tips / Tricks :
Canon T3i picture quality-sharpness-noise far superior to 7D
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

annedunlap

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:19 pm     Reply with quote

Has anyone else found the Canon T3i picture quality, sharpness, and noise level to be far superior to the 7D?

Some folks may remember my posts complaining about my dissatisfaction in upgrading from the 30D to the 7D. Folks suggested resetting the camera, tripod issues, lens issues, my not knowing how to use the new focus system, etc.

I troubleshot for everything and after shooting over 20,000 frames, still felt that nothing I shot was high quality enough to submit (due to noise, soft focus and other things I felt were produced by the camera body).

It has been a shame because the content of many of the shots I felt would have been strong submissions.

Well, I finally had enough money to buy a brand new EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II USM and Canon EOS Rebel T3i from BH photo and WOW!!!

The shots taken with the new lens and 7D body were as lame as the last 20,000 and the few new I took with the lens and T3i were SPOT ON in all areas!!!

I have to be careful because I can't take more than 200 shots if i want to return the Rebel. I notice A LOT of the features I like on the 7D are missing.

But I feel I could really make some income from the T3i body - unlike from the 7D (which is why I haven't had any new submissions since Nov 2011!!).

Is this a fluke? Has anyone else made the same discovery? How do other users like the feature set on the T3i - what do you feel is missing?

Thanks, Anne
chris kolaczan

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:38 pm     Reply with quote

Good to hear that you found an option that is going to work. Maybe you had a dud 7D. Maybe there really is a difference in the sensor between the two (I've never use the rebel so I'm a bit curious now).

In other good news...it will pay itself off alot faster too.
annedunlap

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:54 pm     Reply with quote

Yes, I am very happy to finally have quality photos. I may have a 7D dud, unfortunately, Canon doesn't stand behind their products so it is all my loss for getting the lack of luck of the draw. They won't do anything :-(
geoffwnz

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:37 pm     Reply with quote

My 7D is off to Canon next week to see if there is an issue with it. Having similar sharpness issues.
Did some comparison shots last night with the 550D.
Indoor close work with a flash seemed to result in a very similar image. Will try again when I get home tonight with some outdoors shots over a longer distance.
annedunlap

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:31 pm     Reply with quote

Are they willing to look at it for you free of charge?

I contacted Canon within 30 days of my purchase and they were not willing for me. They just blamed my not being able to figure out the new system. I went from the orig Rebel film back to EOS Elan Film Back to I forget D90 or 90D in 2001 then 10D, 20D, 30D, 7D and now 3Ti.

I didn't like my 1st digi back in 2001 and have not been dissatisfied again until the 7D. Canon refused to do anything about either body. Yet I still shoot canon!?!

Glutton for punishment I guess.
geoffwnz

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:34 pm     Reply with quote

annedunlap wrote:
Are they willing to look at it for you free of charge?

I contacted Canon within 30 days of my purchase and they were not willing for me. They just blamed my not being able to figure out the new system. I went from the orig Rebel film back to EOS Elan Film Back to I forget D90 or 90D in 2001 then 10D, 20D, 30D, 7D and now 3Ti.

I didn't like my 1st digi back in 2001 and have not been dissatisfied again until the 7D. Canon refused to do anything about either body. Yet I still shoot canon!?!

Glutton for punishment I guess.

Yep, it's under warranty still, so they really have to look at it for free.
ajancso

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:02 pm     Reply with quote

Could you please post two images taken with the same lens, under the same conditions, one with the 7D and one with 3Ti ?

I am a happy owner of a 7D and I would love to see a comparison.
geoffwnz

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:12 pm     Reply with quote

ajancso wrote:
Could you please post two images taken with the same lens, under the same conditions, one with the 7D and one with 3Ti ?

I am a happy owner of a 7D and I would love to see a comparison.

Will try to post a couple of comparisons tonight between 7D and 550D (T2i).
annedunlap

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:48 pm     Reply with quote

I can but they will not be examples of stock photo quality submissions for layout. I just got the 3Ti yesterday and the weather has been rainy w 60mph gusts which is not prime photography weather - so PLEASE do not comment on lame composition :-)
annedunlap

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:12 pm     Reply with quote

Okay sun came out for sunset (still NOT a layout or content for stock photography - just for purpose of pixel comparison)

CompareCanon7D02100crop.jpg
 Description:
Notice the blurry bird and TERRIBLE noise.
 Filesize:  156.17 KB
 Viewed:  2972 Time(s)

CompareCanon7D02100crop.jpg

CompareCanon3Ti02100crop.jpg
 Description:
3Ti notice that the bird is quite clear for handheld. Noise is at a minimum
 Filesize:  129.34 KB
 Viewed:  2972 Time(s)

CompareCanon3Ti02100crop.jpg

annedunlap

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:15 pm     Reply with quote

Here is another comparison

CompareCanon7D01100crop.jpg
 Description:
Yucky heavy noise
 Filesize:  125.87 KB
 Viewed:  2968 Time(s)

CompareCanon7D01100crop.jpg

CompareCanon3Ti01100crop.jpg
 Description:
not much noise in the clouds
 Filesize:  105.72 KB
 Viewed:  2968 Time(s)

CompareCanon3Ti01100crop.jpg

chris kolaczan

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:50 pm     Reply with quote

can't really argue with your results (noise wise anyways) except that your focus on the first bird (7D) was off (more on the background).

I just did these this a few hours ago...

Not flawless but good enough for stock (or prints).

(I normally downsize to 10MP for SS)

olives full.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.88 KB
 Viewed:  2945 Time(s)

olives full.jpg

olives4100.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  211.17 KB

olives4100.jpg

olives 100 10MP.jpg
 Description:
reduced to 10MP
 Filesize:  154.98 KB

olives 100 10MP.jpg

chris kolaczan

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:55 pm     Reply with quote

And I'm not posting these to start a pi$$ing contest or anything. Just to show that the camera is capable of reasonably high quality shots (look at me so modest).

You undoubtedly have noise. The best I can do to explain that is that they are underexposed or something. And I can't really explain the difference with the rebel. There shouldn't be one. Assuming the settings were the same and all things besides the camera bodies are equal, it looks like your 7D isn't performing as well as the rebel.

Surprising but apparently not impossible. Stick with the rebel I guess.
annedunlap

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:15 pm     Reply with quote

Yes, out of 20,000 images shot with the 7D (on a tripod - Manfrotto strong beast - at 100 ASA and a ton of other suggestions to reduce noise and improve focus) I NEVER got a single shot as clear as what you have posted :-(
annedunlap

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:57 pm     Reply with quote

Actually, I should ask about how much post-production work you did on those photos. Canon said I needed to use their post-production tools to clean up the image because RAW images are inherently soft. They sent me the most current version of their software and it did not help at all.

The photos I posted have absolutely no correction.

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Shutterstock Forum for Contributors