Welcome, Anonymous (Profile, Private Messages)
Having trouble signing into the forums? Please [ logout ] and log back in.
SEARCH:     » Advanced Search

Shutterstock Photographer Forum Forum Index : Anything Goes. :
Me or my camera?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

PaulCowan

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:14 am     Reply with quote

copidosoma wrote:
jeffbanke wrote:
rinder99 wrote:
I think size,noise,artifacts,composition,Make or age of camera makes any difference at all.it's the impact of the Image. Period.And, Im pretty certain that over 80% of the use of our work is for web use at 800 longest side.or smaller.But I also think At least 6 MP should be the new submitter Minimum.

I agree, a large part of my port has been and is taken with 6MP cameras, just takes more effort. Like Paul said the more pixels you have the crappier photographer you can be :-)

I found the opposite. With a 6mp camera I was getting tack sharp shots all the time. Now with 18MP I have to be seriously careful to get things sharp at full resolution.
I sort of miss my 6mp days. Life was so much simpler.

The issue there is probably camera shake. The greater the magnification the more obvious motion blur gets.

Ansel Adams did tests and reckoned that shake affected hand-held photos unless they were shot at a shutter speed equiavalent to three times the length of the lens in mm. So you should be shooting at at least 1/150 for a 50mm lens. I believe that rule is independent of the size of the sensor or the film format.

Most people give less stringent advice than that (at least 1x the focal length is commonly cited) but I suspect Adams is right for professional quality shots and the lower standard was intended for family shapshots or journalism, where sharpness isn't critical.
angelawaye

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:56 pm     Reply with quote

My hands shake way too much from all the coffee I drink. Good thing I have my trusty tri-pod.
felix_casio

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:15 pm     Reply with quote

I remember when I used to submit with my rebel xt 8pm and 50mm 1.8.

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Shutterstock Forum for Contributors