Welcome, Anonymous (Profile, Private Messages)
Having trouble signing into the forums? Please [ logout ] and log back in.
SEARCH:     » Advanced Search

Shutterstock Photographer Forum Forum Index : Footage :
what format to shoot in

royster

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:07 am     Reply with quote

I'm new to video and I'm trying to get all the technical facts right before I start.
Does it matter if you shoot in NTSC or PAL or best to shoot twice.
If you shoot in either does it affect how you save the file for uploading.
Thanks for any help on this
odesigns

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:33 am     Reply with quote

I personally only shoot NTSC frame rates, with the occasional 24fps clip thrown in. My thinking is, if a buyer wants another frame rate or format, they'll do the conversion themselves.

But I also don't think buyers know or even care about this these days. Most are probably using these videos for some Powerpoint or web video.

Some agencies convert for the buyer upon request, thus further making this a non-issue.

I say shoot in the native format your camera uses. Don't bother doubling your work making an NTSC and a PAL version.

--
http://www.OrlowskiDesigns.com
Laurin Rinder

Location: Contact www.rinderart.com/Books and Workshops www.rindersmithphotography.com Youtube/rinder

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:44 pm     Reply with quote

Agree.
mateimiruna

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:39 am     Reply with quote

Frame rate is a real issue. Going from 30p to 24 is not that easy but almost impossible. And that's only mathematics. The reverse way is no problem at all. So, at first sight it looks recomandable to shoot at 24fps. But what if the client wants to play around with speed to get a little slow motion effect? Than the buyer definitely needs 30fps. Alos, 24fps means smaller files. So, prior to shooting think what is the worth frame rate: if the action is worth playing with speed then shoot 30fps. If the speed is not worth playing around then shoot 24fps. I should have said first that there is a visible difference between footage shot at 24fps and 30fps, what is called the cinema effect(which includes others factors too, but frame rate is one of the main factors). If I managed to trouble you more, that's good, it means you are thinking!

Good luck!
Christian.

P.S PAL vs NTSC: Shoot PAL, the image quality is far superior to NTSC(I know, the NTSC fellows will jump to my neck). PAL has a better quality and a bigger market share. PAL to NTSC is pretty easy for anybody.
royster

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:25 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for your time and answers.
The camera should arrive next week so I'll be able play with it and practice.
pharm

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:21 am     Reply with quote

If you use After Effects and have a need to convert your frame rate, this works well:

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/frame_rate_converter/
pichunter

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:24 pm     Reply with quote

There seems to be a bit of confusion for a newbie, frame rates are generally 30fps in NTSC and 25fps in PAL region's. 24fps is the rate associated with the cinema.

Your best advice is from Odesign, film in your countries native format that your camera comes from, which looks like from your forum badge to be PAL 25fps.
odesigns

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:00 pm     Reply with quote

pichunter wrote:
Your best advice is from Odesign, film in your countries native format that your camera comes from, which looks like from your forum badge to be PAL 25fps.

Thanks. Maybe I should write a book or something with even more helpful advice ...

Shutterstock Forum for Contributors