Welcome, Anonymous (Profile, Private Messages)
Having trouble signing into the forums? Please [ logout ] and log back in.
SEARCH:     » Advanced Search

Shutterstock Photographer Forum Forum Index : Cameras / Scanners / Software :
Nikon D800 vs Nikon D600
Page Previous  1, 2

stevemart

Post Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:05 pm     Reply with quote

Just got a D600 (€1588 in NL with pick-up in store). I had my doubts about whether to get the D800 but eventually went for the D600. I'll have to wait and see if mine has sensor spots but the shop will either replace the cam or have it cleaned. Apparently the problem disappears with use...ahem....according to the salesman!

If you use Nikon software for processing, there's one thing to watch out for and that is before updating to the latest versions of Capture NX2, View NX2 and CameraCapture(for tethered use)first delete Nikon Transfer 1 if you have it and upload your card files using the latest version of ViewNX2. If you don't delete it and the D600 NEF's upload via Transfer 1, you'll see 30Mb NEF's in the file which show as 1600x1200 (max100%) in ViewNX2 and in Capture NX2.

Tried to process in Capture NX2 and they wouldn't process as RAW. Fortunately, I only made some test files but had to delete them because they appeared to have been so altered/degraded by Transfer1 that they were 30MB of unprocessable garbage. Software is not exactly Nikon's forte.

With the cash I saved on the D600 vs D800, I got an AF-S 85mm f1.8 and still had change.....maybe get a faster puter because saving the D600 files as processed NEF's is a bit slow within NX2. Saving as 8-bit 70mb TIFF's is much faster and subsequent processing in PS is still pretty fast.

Nice things(IMHO) about the D600 are: accepts the D90 DCMC2 remote, mirror-up function on dial and at ISO 1000, the pics looked remarkably clean.

Edit: Another little note on Nikon software:

I frequently use my cams tethered using Nikon Camera Control software and in order to use my D600 tethered, I updated my Camera Control Pro 2 software to the latest edition (13?)on the Nikon site. Voila, the D600 and the D90 both work tethered but an old D80 is no longer is recognised. I noticed on the Nikon info that all the 'old' cameras D2X, D80, D40 etc are also no longer recognised by the latest version of CCPro2. The only solution for me was to re-install CCPro1 software so that the CCP2 recognises the D600 and D90 and CCP1 sees the D80.
Another 'dislike' for Nikon software....which is neither free nor cheap to buy (at least not in Europe)!
nemo_the_great

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:46 pm     Reply with quote

I'm saving up for a d600, hopefully the issues with grease / spots are more or less rectified now.
stevemart

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:08 am     Reply with quote

My D600 bought on the last day of last year in NL has got the dreaded lurgy! Oil? and debris have appeared on the sensor, unshiftable with the in-camera sensor clean.

By all accounts, it doesn't get worse after the first 3,000 shots and, for the time being, making a dust-off reference shot and executing that in NX2 seems to work (albeit very slowly on my antiquated machine).

No point in having a Nikon service sensor clean until it no longer shows progression but I think I'll get on to Nikon service to hear what they recommend.

Let you know if they offer a free upgrade to D800 + new computer. LOL. Don't get one yet though.
royster

Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:52 pm     Reply with quote

chiyacat wrote:
That is one of the things I read about D800. Yes, I'll keep that in mind though I do 60% or more of my shooting in a controlled environment i.e. in a studio.

If you do most of your shooting in a studio the D800 will be a clear winner

Page Previous  1, 2

Shutterstock Forum for Contributors