Welcome, Anonymous (Profile, Private Messages)
Having trouble signing into the forums? Please [ logout ] and log back in.
SEARCH:     » Advanced Search

Shutterstock Photographer Forum Forum Index : Footage :
Editorial Caption Requirements - Footage
Page Previous  1, 2

Rekindle

Post Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:33 pm     Reply with quote

Ok, maybe I stupid or at least don't understand. A group of people without model release but has new worthy content is rejected because no model release. I used the new byline as directed. I need a little better explanation. ftp'ing and keywording is expensive in time and bandwidth to be rejected for no model release.

Is it now SS policy that in all cases newsworthy, editorial or otherwise a model release is always required? I guess I and others can ensure that no people, logos, building etc are shown but what about editorial and news worthy?

A lot confused and somewhat not happy at wasting so much time when after nearly 2,000 clips later I start getting rejections for what tens of thousands of clips have been approved.

Please help all of us to understand news worthy, editorial and model release requirements.
Many thanks
Don
varius

Post Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:39 pm     Reply with quote

I've been submitting quite a few editorial clips lately and didn't have a problem so far. Could you post an example of the description? Maybe I can help with that.
Rekindle

Post Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:23 pm     Reply with quote

Sure two videos.
1st: A group of photographers taking photos of another photographer acting as model on the famous Bonneville Salt Flat:

Bonneville Salt Flats, UT - Sept 27: Group of photographers taking photos of salt flats and each other. Event 27 Sept 2008 near Wendover Nevada. Group of photographers taking pictures of a pretty female. Sunset on the famous Bonneville Salt Flat race track in north west Utah near Wendover.

2nd: Three men skinning a deer after a hunt (me included);

Sanpete County, UT - Sept 29 2008: Three men and a dog skinning a mule deer buck after a successful muzzle loader hunt. Annual harvest of wild game in Utah.

So the question, does all clips with people or property without a release get disapproved? If it is an event or an annual get-to-gather on public property and has editorial or newsworth items does it need model and property release?

I hate to revert to only tripod steady landscapes. There is so much more to sell that has people, places and things that do not need releases. Help someone.
varius

Post Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:18 am     Reply with quote

Three things:

1) Dateline needs to be all CAPS.
2) No year in the dateline (it may be in the rest of the description).
3) The rest of the description MAY describe the scene, but it HAS to make clear why this clips is newsworthy. Best way to do this is to state a newsworthy fact that is related to your clip.

One example: It's a pub in Oxford - to describe why it is famous, what the name means and why it would be newsworthy would fill a couple of paragraphs. So I just settled for "The site is associated with the legendary Oxford boat races." Apparently that was clear enough for the reviewer.

In your case, I suspect that "SANPETE COUNTY, UT - SEPTEMBER 29: Three men skinning a mule deer buck. The annual harvest of wild game is a long standing tradition in Utah." would have done nicely.
fa63yyc

Post Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:37 pm     Reply with quote

Okay,

I need help with this one. I submitted two (2) batches of clips. Within those 2 separate batches were similar clips (different angles, etc) of the same subject matter: specifically a junkyard tire fir in on case and New York City subway trains. In one batch they were rejected for lack of editorial caption. In the other batch... they were accepted.

In either case, I would be hard pressed to associate an editorial caption for these clips. If indeed they qualify, then I believe pretty much every clip will need a caption. Is there anyone that can possibly shed light on this matter!? Do in fact need to apply an editorial caption to every clip?

A time-lapse clip of traffic on 5th Avenue in New York City at night with some custom tweaks applied needs an editorial caption?

As well, "An undetermined technical error has prevented the clip from playing"... okay, so what exactly is this undetermined technical error and why did it occur to an entire batch, but not to the next batch? Yeah I uploaded about 170 clips in 6 batches.

A little uniformity would go a long way here. I mirror Don's points, uploading and keywording takes, time... lots of time. I don't want to waste my time or SS's time.

I've read through this thread and for the life of me I'm having a difficult time wrapping me head around it. I know what news worthy editorial clips are, I've been shooting TV news for years.

respectfully
Francois
chadchud

Post Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:38 pm     Reply with quote

well said francois!

Along with all the nonsense here at the minute, I've got 60+ clips that are just 'dormant' in the review system - no thumbnails, just my keywords and a 'currently being processed' thing. I've been uploading the same type of files since day one and I still can't believe there are problems here!

You'd think that all the hard work we put in would justify someone to sort out all the problems and at least have a bit of consistency here - and at the very least a reply to a pm or something!
tgtg

Post Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:26 pm     Reply with quote

My clip was Not Approved: Editorial clips require a caption.
But it is simply Red Square with unrecognizable people like on this http://footage.shutterstock.com/clip-246346-bridge-road-in-petersburg.html
What i must write in caption? Date? But it is the same day, as other. Nothing else, just Red Square, Moscow.
Must i write: The number of tourists to visit the Red Square increased by 2% according to xyz rating company? I'm photographer, not writer.
tamila

Post Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:17 pm     Reply with quote

Am Just starting here.

My head is started to spin after my first butch is rejected. when I read this forum its get worst .:)

Wondering should I upload my nearly 4000 clips or not?
Should I wait till SS fix these problem.

Hope SS make a bit easy for us.

Pleeeeeeeeeesssssssseeeeeeee

Thanks
Rekindle

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:49 pm     Reply with quote

Why in the world can't SS be more seller friendly by not making us spend a couple hours re-submitting a clip because the editorial byline was not quite right? Smart business would allow the submitter to edit the clip in a few minutes instead of not resubmitting and selling the clip at other places. This is lost revenue for both SS and sellers. Please give us a few days to re-edit before the clip is deleted ... please ;)
chrisdodutch

Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:19 pm     Reply with quote

I'm afraid SS is getting itself lost in the details.
tgtg is right - we are videographers, not journalists/writers.

If a prospective buyer wants an editorial clip, he/she wants that for a reason (ie, increase in tourists etc).

CAPS requirements for dateline, no year in date etc is a bit over the top.

KISS, please! (Keep It Simple St...D)
mateimiruna

Post Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:03 am     Reply with quote

Any news?

Post Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:32 pm     Reply with quote

Hello:

A few topics have been brought up here and I will do my best to address everything.

Editorial Captioning: Details are important. Editorial clients need basic info that can only be found in a caption. A well written caption can be the difference between an approval and a rejection for a clip or an image. The style/format for captions is this way for a reason. You have the option to submit correctly or not.

If a clip is submitted with a poorly written caption and we feel that the clip has a lot of potential, we will try to reach out to a submitter for further information / clarification. In some instances, we have held batches in the review queue to allow submitters to update the captions.

How to Write a Caption: Please see the very beginning of this thread for more information. The requirements should be pretty clear. If they are not, please write to me at this email (anthony@shutterstock.com) and I will help you compose a caption with the idea that once one is written, you will be able to see and understand what is necessary. It would be great to see the clip in question, but all I would need from you would be some basic info about the clip - describe what is going on and I will try to assist whenever possible (pls read on...).

The simple way of approaching a caption is to look at the clip and describe what is going on. If it is a street scene at the Kremlin with pedestrians, you may want to write this kind of caption:

MOSCOW - SEPTEMBER 3: Pedestrians walk past The Kremlin on September 3, 2009 in Moscow. According to a recent government statistic, about 1 million people visit The Kremlin every year.

Now, with the sample caption above, I took some liberties as that is not a real caption, but look at what the caption has within it:

WHO: Pedestrians
WHAT: Walk past The Kremlin
WHERE: Moscow
WHEN: September 3, 2009
WHY: The Why is not always necessary, but it is ok to include some basic piece of info to qualify the caption as newsworthy. the info cannot be 'made up', but it must be accurate and attributable, if you sourced it from a well known entity. In the above example, I wrote 'According to a recent government statistic...' - write where you obtained the info.

Think Like a Journalist: It is important to think like a journalist. You are producers and creative professionals. Our growing client base expect your captions to be accurate. Write a clean, accurate caption. Be professional.

How to Decide Whether a Clip Should Be Editorial (or Not): Any newsworthy clip must be editorial. What constitutes a newsworthy clip? Did you capture a political rally? A protest? An auto show? A red carpet celebrity event? People walking down a sunny street or a rain slick road with hurricane speed winds? These are all Editorial. Is the clip generic enough to be non-editorial? Submit that for submission with a basic title. If it is a street scene in NYC and company names are visible (think Times Square), that must be editorial. Did you shoot a time lapse view of people walking past the Kremlin?

MOSCOW - SEPTEMBER 3: (TIME-LAPSE) Pedestrians walk past the Kremlin on September 3, 2009 in Moscow. According to a recent government statistic, about 1 million people visit the Kremlin every year.

Finally, look at the clip you just shot and think about how a client may use it.

Big Batches of Clips: It is in your best interest, in regards to bandwidth and general workflow, to not submit huge batches of clips to us at one time. Some submitters choose to try and upload hundreds of clips at a time overnight as an example. This is not ideal for a few reasons. The main reason is simple: issues may arise with the transfer of a file from your computer through the Internet to our servers. It is ideal to keep batches to under 50 clips per submission (even though we can handle many more per upload.) As stated before, if there is an issue we will try to resolve it directly with you, either in the rejection reason or as a direct email.

Technical Errors: Technical issues do occur from time to time. If you received a rejection reason of: "An undetermined technical error has prevented the clip from playing" - this could be due to an incompatible codec, our system could not process it due to an original file issue (non-codec) or the file could be genuinely corrupt - it simply did not transfer over to us properly. Other times, our servers may have had the issue. Issues do occur from time to time.

We want to represent your clips and will work with you to ensure that your quality clips are accepted and approved.

Let's work together to get your clips approved.

Sincerely,

Anthony Correia
Shutterstock
tgtg

Post Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:12 am     Reply with quote

MOSCOW - SEPTEMBER 3: (TIME-LAPSE) Pedestrians walk past the Kremlin on September 3, 2009 in Moscow. According to a recent government statistic, about 1 million people visit the Kremlin every year.
MOCSOW - SEPTEMBER 5: Moscow State University September 5, 2009 in Moscow, Russia. More than 40 000 undergraduates and about 7 000 postgraduates study at the MSU.
It's not newsworthy captions. It's educational captions.
Forgiss

Location: For videos of our shoots: https://vimeo.com/shootsimaging

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:42 am     Reply with quote

I can understand the need for a description limitation, but why so on editorial clips?

If the need to add a dateline (without year) eats up your characters, and it's a truely editorial clip, then removing pertinent information would be more harmful... wouldn't it?

I have tried to describe a clip of a man staring at big waves after a big storm....

Few things are pertinent for the clip:

1. What is the man doing
2. The year (when was this unusual storm)
3. The damage the storm caused (as editorial fact, because the strom has passed)

I could wrestle the information down to 238 char, then to 216 chars then to 206 chars.

Now I have a caption that fits in the chars, but most pertinent information about the editorial side of the event has been lost...

The fact that it's unussual for the region to have a storm like this. The fact that damage occured to roads, buildings and vehicles, etc, etc, etc...

I am looking at the Boston Big Picture captions to try and figure out how to caption things. Sometimes a short caption is fine, othertimes, it's just not possible:

Quote:
A section of the Rocky Mountain News newsroom sits empty on February 27, 2009 in Denver, Colorado. The edition on Friday the 27th was the last one for the nearly 150-year-old daily, Colorado's oldest newspaper. The owner E.W. Scripps Co. announced the day before that the paper was closing down after efforts to sell the money-losing newspaper failed.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/12/2009_in_photos_part_3_of_3.html#photo21

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 2 of 2 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2

Shutterstock Forum for Contributors