Welcome, Anonymous (Profile, Private Messages)
Having trouble signing into the forums? Please [ logout ] and log back in.
SEARCH:     » Advanced Search

Shutterstock Photographer Forum Forum Index : General Shutterstock Submit Discussion :
Editorial Caption Requirements
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:54 am     Reply with quote

Hello:

We have implemented a new caption requirement for editorial images & footage clips. Our Submitter Guidelines is not yet updated with this information, but I wanted to let everyone know now via our Forum area first.

For a newsworthy editorial image/footage clip to have any value, long term, the image must have some basic identifiers such as: Who, What, Where & When - as a caption/description. Just explain what is going on in the image. Simply write the facts (accuracy is very important). When writing, be concise. Please keep it under 200 characters (including spaces).

Here is an example of what kind of caption we are looking for:

JACKSON, NJ - JUNE 16: Singer Deborah Harry performs onstage at Six Flags Great Adventure June 16, 2008 in Jackson, NJ.

A 'dateline' style always comes before the caption: 'JACKSON, NJ - JUNE 16:'

** Character Count**
The caption above has 119 characters (with spaces). Our current caption limitation is 200 characters (with spaces).

Longer Caption Example:

JACKSON, NJ - JUNE 16: Singer Deborah Harry performs onstage at Six Flags Great Adventure June 16, 2008 in Jackson, NJ. This was Harry's third performance.

It is OK to have two sentences as a caption as long as it fits - 200 characters (with spaces).

The end of the first sentence must follow stated format.

--

For images taken in any 'major' city in the world such as Los Angeles, New York or London, you do not need the state identifier (or country) in the dateline, just in the caption. As examples:

LOS ANGELES - JUNE 16: Singer Deborah Harry performs onstage at Six Flags Great Adventure June 16, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

LONDON - JUNE 16: Singer Deborah Harry attends a charity benefit June 16, 2008 in London, England.

If you are submitting from an event today in Sydney, Australia, the dateline would be: SYDNEY - JUNE 16:

For a motorcross event in Sydney, your caption may be: John Doe of Australia participates in the Extreme Motorcross Event June 16, 2008 in Sydney, Australia.

Put the dateline and caption together, this is what the complete caption would look like:

SYDNEY - JUNE 16: John Doe of Australia participates in the Extreme Motorcross Event June 16, 2008 in Sydney, Australia.

** (Please keep your title (caption) area description to under 200 characters (including spaces), for now.)

--

Editorial images of children: Editorial images of children, like all editorial images, need to be newsworthy (specifically of domestic or international importance). Please follow the caption examples above (one example follows as well). It is important to note: Please remember to include a name, the child's age and general area of residence - as these are now required for an editorial image of a child.

One caption/description example of an image of a child that may be newsworthy:

CHARLOTTE - JUNE 16: John Doe, 8, from Charlotte, N.C., cools off in a spray of mist at the Zoo June 16, 2008 in Charlotte, North Carolina. Temperatures went into the triple digits recently.

Without a proper caption/description, all newsworthy editorial images will not be approved.

** (Again, please keep your title (caption) area description to under 200 characters (including spaces), for now.)

--
If you do not know the exact date an event took place, it is OK to use the CIRCA within the dateline and caption areas, as follows:

SYDNEY - CIRCA JUNE 2008: John Doe of Australia participates in the Extreme Motorcross Event circa June 2008 in Sydney, Australia.

If you only know the year:

SYDNEY - CIRCA 2008: John Doe of Australia participates in the Extreme Motorcross Event circa 2008 in Sydney, Australia.

--
Please note: Editorial images should never be digitally altered.

Please contact me with any questions directly at: anthony@shutterstock.com - I am here to assist everyone and I will do my best to reply in a timely manner.

Thanks for your patience.

Sincerely,

Anthony Correia
Manager, Content Acquisition
Shutterstock

Last edited by moderator on Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:50 pm; edited 12 times in total
Ulrich Willmunder

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:06 am     Reply with quote

Makes sense to me. :)

Just one suggestion, if I may: For most events it might be helpful to have the year in the dateline as well.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:25 am     Reply with quote

Hi varius,

That is a good suggestion. However, the dateline format, as I have explained, should be followed, please. The year should remain in the caption.

Sincerely,

Anthony Correia
Shutterstock
visual7

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:38 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I tried the new system with dateline and caption, but got a rejection with "please upload model release" for editorial?

Would be interesting to know further details, thanks

Steven

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:37 pm     Reply with quote

Hello visual7:

You have what appear to be editorial images showing groups of people celebrating outdoors. As you should be aware since you posted to this thread, we have a new editorial caption requirement. One recent image of yours that was rejected had this as a title/caption: football, soccer fans from spain (image #14086594) (all of your images from that recent batch had the same exact title/caption, actually.) This image could have been approved easily by my reviewer if you had indeed followed my instructions. You did not follow my instructions, unfortunately.

You also filed other images that appear to show models posed in front of a white background. Since these white background images appear to be posed, they cannot be submitted as editorial. Also, newsworthy editorial images should never be digitally altered/manipulated. If you took these images at a rally, like the other group shots, and then digitally altered these images, then you must not submit them to us as editorial. These images need model releases to be accepted as they are now.

If you or anyone else need further assistance with the new editorial caption requirement, please feel free to contact me at: anthony@shutterstock.com - I will do my best to reply in a timely manner.

Sincerely,

Anthony Correia
Shutterstock
Ulrich Willmunder

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:50 pm     Reply with quote

Three additional questions, if I may:

1) Same requirements for footage?

2) Not digitally altered... I expect scaling and croping is still ok?

3) Your examples are all about people - how would you phrase it for newsworthy events where the people in the images are not celebrities. Examples might be: An environmentalist demonstration. Some huge cruise ship starting its maiden voyage. Anniversary ride of some historic steam train.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:30 pm     Reply with quote

Hi Varius:

I will address your questions, point-by-point:

1) Not at this time

2) Scaling and cropping slightly is acceptable (sometimes you must crop a newsworthy editorial image). The digital manipulation I was referring to was really to address ideas of adding elements to make an image sell more (like adding smoke at a protest or a missile if you are shooting in a war zone, etc...). Digitally manipulating an editorial image is never acceptable under any circumstance.

The 'best' editorial image is the full frame image. If you must crop it, the 'message' of the image must not change at all.

3) My overall message regarding newsworthy editorial images is to be factual. If you have an image of unidentified people at a parade (non-celebrity), that is OK as long as you simply describe what is going on in the image - all while keeping the caption length to under 200 characters (including spaces).

Examples:

An environmentalist demonstration. (?)
NEW YORK - JULY 7: Environmentalists demonstrate against XYZ Policy at the U.N. on July 7, 2008 in New York City. The policy was voted into law on XYZ date.

Some huge cruise ship starting its maiden voyage.
MIAMI - JULY 7: XYZ Ship lies moored to a dock July 7, 2008 in Miami. The ship will make its maiden voyage tomorrow to XYZ destination.

Anniversary ride of some historic steam train.
CHICAGO - JULY 7: XYZ train carries passengers for its 84th Anniversary ride on July 7, 2008 in Chicago. The train has been in continuous service for the past 84 years.

---

Ok, I have taken some liberties above, but for a reason... to emphasis the ease of caption writing. I created the captions above w/o an image as a reference at all. You should have no issue as long as you remain factual. Simply describe what is going on in the image... Explain: what makes the image newsworthy? Why is it of any value? Doing this will increase your editorial images download viability, longterm.

Also, please note: I wrote from a major city point of view. If the images were created in Dayton, Ohio, the dateline would read:

DAYTON, OH - JULY 7: Environmentalists take part in a demonstration against XYZ on July 7, 2008 in Dayton, Ohio. The protests started approximately four days ago.

Goal: Keep your captions simple and factual.

So, Varius, I hope this additional information helps.

If you or anyone else needs a hand, please let me know and I will do my best to reply in a timely manner: anthony@shutterstock.com

Sincerely,

Anthony Correia
manager, Content Acquisition
Shutterstock
parrypix

Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:18 pm     Reply with quote

Having captions for Editorial images is very useful!

How do I add Captions to Editorial photos already in gallery?
Is Caption box for those Editorials yet to come?
Am I overlooking the caption box?
Should I add the caption info in the Description box?

Thank you - Ann

Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:27 pm     Reply with quote

Hi parrypix (Ann):

Adding a Caption to an already approved Editorial image is very easy to do. Please follow these easy steps:

1) Access your submit account

2) Navigate to 'Status of Submitted Photos'

3) If you have the Image #, you may search for the image easily at that page. If not, simply access 'Approved Photos' to search for the photo that you would like to update/add a caption to.

4) If you searched for an image using the Image #, that image will appear. On the right side, you shoul see an edit link and a delete link (a red x) right next to the edit link - simply choose the edit link and you will be directed to the page where you may update that image's details. The Caption would go into the top left field that is now called: Description.

5) Once the Image Description (caption area) is updated, hit submit and your image will soon be updated online.

If you or anyone have any other questions, please do let me know. I may be reached at: anthony@shutterstock.com - I will do my best to reply in a timely manner.

Sincerely,

Anthony Correia
Shutterstock
dzain

Post Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:02 am     Reply with quote

moderator wrote:

3) If you have the Image #, you may search for the image easily at that page. If not, simply access 'Approved Photos' to search for the photo that you would like to update/add a caption to.

simply?

there is nothing simpel about searching through approved photo's

as we are begging for months/years in the requestforum, we would like a feature that we can edit our own photo's by simply entering our portfolio

Post Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:17 pm     Reply with quote

Hello dzain:

This Forum thread topic is about Editorial Caption requirements and the question was how to edit the caption area. My answer was composed with that in mind.

Your concern is a valid one. I would like to state that we are striving to enhance our interface - to make it truly easy and intuitive for every submitter to use, both new and experienced. Change, however, takes time. We appreciate your continued patience and cooperation as we continue to try and make your submitter experience as good as it should be.

With this said, I respectfully ask that all further posts in this thread stay on point re: the new Editorial Caption requirements.

Sincerely,

Anthony Correia
Shutterstock
dzain

Post Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:35 pm     Reply with quote

moderator wrote:
Your concern is a valid one. I would like to state that we are striving to enhance our interface - to make it truly easy and intuitive for every submitter to use, both new and experienced. Change, however, takes time. We appreciate your continued patience and cooperation as we continue to try and make your submitter experience as good as it should be.

Thank you, hope tech will succeed soon!

And about the editorials: what about local people in 3rd world countries? That is not about events, so not about dates/years, what do we have to write as subject?
Karen Perhus

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:12 pm     Reply with quote

dzain wrote:
And about the editorials: what about local people in 3rd world countries? That is not about events, so not about dates/years, what do we have to write as subject?

I am interested in the answer to this, too.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:50 am     Reply with quote

kaleigh wrote:
dzain wrote:

I am interested in the answer to this, too.

----

Hello kaleigh and dzain:

Local people in third world countries... I would like to move away from the term 'third world' because all of the information in this thread (and in this post) may be applied to any image, wherever it is taken/created, to help make it newsworthy so that the image may be accepted as editorial.

The challenge is simply to make sure that the facts are clearly represented and accurate while keeping in mind that the character space is limited to 200 (including spaces - for now).

If a date is not known, please list the location and use the word UNKNOWN in the Dateline. In the caption, make reference to the fact that the image date is unknown (example will follow). It is always best to have an approx date or year, at least though. Remember: The more information the better for editorial images.

SUDAN - UNKNOWN: A young unidentified refugee seeks shelter in this undated image from the Sudan. Shelter is hard to come by because...

SUDAN - CIRCA 1998: A young unidentified refugee seeks shelter in this image from the Sudan circa 1998. Shelter is hard to come by because...

In the examples above, we see how to compose a caption when the date is not known or a rough estimate can be supplied. Again, the more info the better.

I hope this information helps you and answers your questions. If not, please let me know right away.

Sincerely,

Anthony Correia
Manager. Content Acquisition
Shutterstock
Karen Perhus

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:29 pm     Reply with quote

Excellent. Yes, that helps. Thank you.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 3 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Shutterstock Forum for Contributors