Welcome, Anonymous (Profile, Private Messages)
Having trouble signing into the forums? Please [ logout ] and log back in.
SEARCH:     » Advanced Search

Shutterstock Photographer Forum Forum Index : Tax Witholding Discussion for Foreign Submitters :
DUTCH Submitters!
Page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

svoogt

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:47 am     Reply with quote

Maybe we can start a thread in Dutch like the other countries here. There are just too many discussions and posts....

This new tax witholding thing doesn't make much sense to me .. the procedure seems rather difficult and expensive. Maybe we can help eachother out and post the procedure step by step in our own language. How to fill out the W-7 form correctly ..

I guess the first step is how to deal with ITIN number?
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf

Sandra

E-mail van Shutterstock Nederland

mariettebudel wrote:
Ik heb een email aan SS Nederland gestuurd, waarin ik om uitleg heb gevraagd. Vandaag kreeg ik dit mailtje terug:

Beste mevrouw Budel,

Dank u voor uw bericht. We begrijpen dat de email van Shutterstock m.b.t. de
vernieuwde belastingwetgeving verwarring heeft veroorzaakt onder onze
submitters, met name omdat deze in het Engels was.
Onze excuses voor het ongemak en de verlate reactie; wellicht had u in de
tussentijd op de forums e.e.a. gelezen dat de zaak opgehelderd heeft?

In het kort komt het hierop neer:
- U heeft in het verleden als Nederlandse Submitter nooit belasting hoeven
betalen over uw inkomsten van Shutterstock
- Dit verandert niet! U zult nog steeds belastingvrij verdienen bij
Shutterstock, omdat Nederland een overeenkomst met de V.S. op dat gebied
- Het enige dat de IRS (Belastingdienst in de V.S.) van u nodig heeft is
bewijs dat u inwoner bent in een land met een dergelijke overeenkomst
- Hiervoor dient u een aantal formulieren in te vullen (W7 en W8)
- U hoeft nu geen onmiddellijke actie te ondernemen. Electronische versies van
de formulieren zullen beschikbaar zijn op www.submit.shutterstock.com

Ons advies is voorlopig: Houdt uw emailberichten van Shutterstock in de gaten
en bekijk voor meer informatie in het Nederlands de forums op
www.submit.shutterstock.com.

Voor eventuele overige vragen kunt u Shutterstock Support emailen in het
Nederlands via de 'Contact Us' link onderaan de website.

Hopelijk hebben jullie hier iets aan.

Withholding Tax Update - E-mail van Shutterstock

Quote:
Dear Sandra,

We have two important updates on the issue of tax withholding and your Shutterstock earnings:

First, to all foreign submitters worldwide, regardless of location:

Following extensive consultation with tax counsel, Shutterstock will withhold taxes on U.S. Source Income only, generally defined as income from Shutterstock’s U.S. customers. As many of you know by now, that percentage can be as high as 30% in Non-Treaty Countries and as low as 0% in certain so-called “Treaty Countries.” If you live in a Treaty Country, then to receive the benefit of the reduced withholding rates, Shutterstock must have an appropriate Form W-8 and your ITIN on file.

Second, to all submitters who are residents of a Treaty Country:

Some submitters have reported to us that IRS officials have said that the letter emailed by Shutterstock to you will not satisfy the requirement that you furnish “a signed letter or document from the withholding agent, on official letterhead, showing your name and account number, and evidencing that an ITIN is required to make distributions to you during the current tax year which are subject to IRS information reporting or federal tax withholding.” Some IRS officials appear to be claiming that the letter is not sufficient without a physical signature. While we have been advised that the letter provided will satisfy the IRS’ document requirement, we are in the process of investigating this issue further and hope to have an update for you next week. Until you have heard from us again, please do not submit your W-7 ITIN application.

To reiterate, we will contact you soon with detailed instructions on how to submit your W-7 ITIN application, and again when the Form W-8 is available digitally on submit.shutterstock.com.

Thank you for your cooperation and attention to this matter.

Best Regards,

Shutterstock Images LLC

Invullen W-7 formulier

caveman73 wrote:
INVULLEN VAN HET W-7 FORMULIER

- punt a en h aankruisen.
- bij punt h invullen: "Exception 1d - Third party withholding tax on passive income royalties (photograpic sales)"
- treaty country: Netherlands
- treaty article number: 13(1)

- bij 1a voornaam, middelnaam en achternaam invullen
- bij 1b bij allen "N/A" invullen

- bij 2 eerste regel straatnaam en nummer invullen
- bij 2 tweede regel postcode, plaats en land

- bij 3 overal N/A invullen

- bij 4 geboortemaand, dag en jaar invullen, land waar je geboren bent en eventueel provincie (bijv ZH)

- bij 6a land van inwoning invullen
- bij 6b sofinummer (dit weet ik niet 100% zeker maar daar ga ik wel van uit)
- bij 6c N/A of evt visumnummer dat op je paspoort staat
- bij 6d welke vorm van id die je opstuurt, bij NO het nummer van je ID en bij exp date de verloopdatum
- bij 6e 'NO/Do not know' aankruisen
- bij 6f N/A invullen op allebei de regels tenzij je een TIN of EIN nummer hebt
- bij 6g 3 x N/A invullen

- bij signature je handtekening
- bij name of delegate N/A invullen tenzij je minderjarig bent of een voogd hebt.
- bij date maand/dag/jaar van ondertekening
- bij phonenumber (land-net)abonneenummer
(bijvoorbeeld (316)12345678 bij een mobiel nummer)

Print dit formulier, de mail van shutterstock en stop het - samen met de gecertificeerde kopie van het id bewijs dat je ook ingevuld hebt op het formulier naar

Internal Revenue Service
Austin Service Center
ITIN Operation
P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TX 78714-9342

En nu maar wachten tot je een brief van de IRS krijgt met je ITIN nummer.

Eerste E-mail van Shutterstock

Quote:
Dear Sandra,

This letter is to advise you of potential changes in the amount of tax that may be withheld from your Shutterstock earnings.

In reviewing our files we discovered that we do not have a record of having received any US withholding tax certificates from you. Based upon the information in our files it appears that you may be a resident of Netherlands, which has an income tax treaty with the United States that provides for a reduced rate of withholding tax on royalties.

If you are a resident of Netherlands and qualify for benefits under the US/Netherlands income tax treaty, you will need to complete a U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form W-8BEN, Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding. We are in the process of installing an online version of Form W-8BEN on our website; however, in order to complete Form W-8BEN you must have a U.S. Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). If you do not currently have an ITIN, you can obtain one by filing a Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, with the IRS. This process takes only 4-6 weeks and could reduce your withholding taxes significantly.

Please complete the most recent version of Form W-7 by checking Box a (Nonresident alien required to obtain ITIN to claim tax treaty benefits), providing the information requested in Lines 1 through 6, and signing the form where indicated. You must provide certified or notarized copies of documents, such as your passport, that substantiate the information contained on Form W-7.

After completing the W-7 form and providing the required documentation as described above, you can apply for an ITIN in any of three ways:

1. by mail through the IRS, with details available here:

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96287,00.html

2. using the services of an IRS-authorized Acceptance Agent in your country

3. by visiting an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center in Frankfurt, London, or Paris, where they will provide in-person help with ITIN applications on a walk-in or appointment basis.

http://www.irs.gov/localcontacts/article/0,,id=101292,00.html

Please note that without an ITIN and a completed IRS Form W-8BEN on file at Shutterstock, we will be required to deduct a 30% US withholding tax from royalties payable to you.

We will send you a separate email when our online Form W-8BEN is ready for use. Your early June royalty payment will not be subject to withholdings but subsequent royalty payments may be.

If you have questions on tax withholding from your Shutterstock earnings, please visit our submitter forum.

Thank you for your cooperation and attention to this matter.

Best Regards,

Shutterstock Images LLC

Last edited by svoogt on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:17 pm; edited 13 times in total
wtolenaars

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:14 am     Reply with quote

Good idea because I really have no clue how to handle this...
henkbentlage

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:15 am     Reply with quote

A family-member of mine is working for an accountant and she has asked the tax-experts for help on how to settle this. When she sends me information, I will post it here (in Dutch).
uzuri

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:18 am     Reply with quote

Step one would indeed be to get that ITIN number (so the real question is how to get our passport copies certified as easy and cheap as possible :)). Gemeentehuis zal wel te simpel zijn?

Last edited by uzuri on Fri May 29, 2009 2:30 am; edited 1 time in total
sistersnl

I am not gonna fill out any papers, I don't want to give all my info.
svoogt

Thanks, let us know .... :)
uzuri

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:20 am     Reply with quote

sistersnl wrote:
I am not gonna fill out any papers, I don't want to give all my info.

I don't really mind giving the information (it's only about proof of identity and location), but I do want to make sure that it won't get stolen or anything like that...

Last edited by uzuri on Fri May 29, 2009 2:22 am; edited 1 time in total
uzuri

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:22 am     Reply with quote

henkbentlage wrote:
A family-member of mine is working for an accountant and she has asked the tax-experts for help on how to settle this. When she sends me information, I will post it here (in Dutch).

Thanks!
caveman73

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:35 am     Reply with quote

I just called my townhall and asked if they could provide me with a certified copy of my passport. Answer was yes. Just come down with your passport and we will make a certified copy. The cost will be about 8 euros.

I'm really beginning to understand all of this and it's not that big of a deal really.
zand

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:39 am     Reply with quote

Sandra, thanks for making this thread.

henkbentlage wrote:

That would be great!

Has anybody found a Dutch website that has more information about the ITIN? Because I couldn't really find it.
svoogt

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:42 am     Reply with quote

Volgens mij kunnen we gewoon Nederlands praten, of moet daar eerst toestemming voor gevraagd worden? In de andere topics zie ik leden ook in eigen taal communiceren, gemixt met Engels ;)

@sistersnl, als je het niet gaat invullen .. laat je dan 30% van je inkomen afnemen? Voor mij zou het dan al het werk en de moeite niet meer waard zijn.
uzuri

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:48 am     Reply with quote

Nederlands is wel zo makkelijk, als het niet ok is horen we het wel :)

8 euro lijkt wel heel erg mee te vallen, het enige waar ik mee zit - maar dat had ik al gemeld - is het doorsturen per post. Toch een tikkie riskant lijkt me zo.

In eerste instantie dacht ik er net zo over als sistersnl, maar als je het goed bekijkt is het allemaal niet zo heel bijzonder denk ik. SS heeft mijn paspoort kopie ook gewoon en zij zijn niet de enige. Verder hoef je alleen wat adresgegevens in te vullen en klaar is het weer. Voor de landen die niet onder een verdrag vallen is het veel erger, die hebben simpelweg geen opties...
thijsschouten

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:49 am     Reply with quote

Ik heb net even het formulier ingevuld met met een gewoon kopie op de bus gedaan ( geen certified). Had namelijk niet helemaal door dat dit moest gebeuren.

Man, wat een gezeik weer. Maarja, ik wacht het in ieder geval eerst maar even allemaal af. Kijken of ik iets van ITIN hoor, of dat ss misschien toch andere regels gaat toepassen. Ik denk dat ze op deze manier namelijk heel veel fotografen zullen verliezen.

Groet,

Thijs
svoogt

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:53 am     Reply with quote

Wat ook handig is om onduidelijkheden in de aanvraag ITIN nummer via het W-7 formulier hier te vermelden. Het zou sneu zijn als zo'n formulier wordt afgeketst op een paar kleinigheidjes die je niet goed hebt ingevuld of begrepen.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf
devy

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:54 am     Reply with quote

Voor mij, ik weet het niet.
Het is zo'n gedoe omdat ik in Portugal woon.
Ik ben Nederlandse van natonaliteit en m'n financiele rompslomp nog in Nederland, maar nu dit..
Niet echt simpel hoe dat af te handelen...
groeten
devy

Page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Shutterstock Forum for Contributors